Sunday, May 4, 2008

the blog, ees what I do.

I have this thing - see, I start blogs and then never complete them. My main blog is in it's 4th incarnation over at dis:adventure.com and I think it's pretty great, if perhaps not updated frequently enough. So why make another blog? Why create another entity that you don't update frequently enough?

Because I had one of those incredible moments today as I listened to the made-up guy on CNN announce the devastation of cyclone Nargis as it hit Burma hard. I wrote an article for the Vancouver Sun last fall during the Saffron Revolution in Burma, partly for a school project and partly for my own interest. I've always been interested in those political pariah states - the ones that "don't play well with others," least of all their own citizens. Burma is one of those writ large - potentially one of the wealthiest in Asia but driven into disrepair and poverty by an intensely superstitious and power-hungry military junta.

My moment seemed to resonate in my soul. I felt like the cyclone had hit a country where I had family or friends. I guess I knew just enough about the situation to know what a disaster like Cyclone Nargis would mean for a populace so completely unprepared, as Burma is. And so, out of that feeling, I started another blog. I hope that this one sticks around awhile. I hope it becomes one that helps me express my concern, gather others, and connect with those who have influence.

So begins blog for burma!

No comments: